Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Black Beans with Moroccan Seasoning

I made this up on Sunday. I soaked two cups of black beans the night before and cooked them Sunday morning. I still have some of the beans left over. I'm going to experiment with turning them into some kind of little patty, like sliders.

Notes on the recipe: I use minced garlic that I buy in honking big jars. I know it's not as good as mincing the stuff myself, but I really think that it is possible to carry the "chop wood, carry water" thing too far. We love our garlic, and I would be spending a lot of time mincing it otherwise. The point is that I don't know how much garlic I used, which is why I say "to taste."

The other note: I found the directions for the seasoning mix on the Internet. It seems like a lot of ingredients, but it's lovely.

Black Beans with Moroccan Seasoning
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
Minced garlic to taste
1 red bell pepper, diced
3-4 cups cooked black beans
3-4 Tbsp Moroccan seasoning mix (see below)
1 can of diced tomatoes
Sea salt


Moroccan seasoning mix
5 tsp ground nutmeg
5 tsp ground cumin
5 tsp ground coriander
2 1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon


Mix together thoroughly and keep in an airtight container. 

  1. Heat oil in a skillet.
  2. Sauté onions until translucent
  3. Add garlic and cook, stirring to keep garlic from sticking and burning.
  4. Add diced red bell pepper. Stir fry until tender crisp.
  5. Add black beans and 2 Tbsp of the Moroccan seasoning mix. Stir and heat beans.
  6. Stir in diced tomatoes. Add 1-2 more  Tbsp of Moroccan seasoning mix and a pinch of sea salt. Continue cooking until heated through. Adjust seasonings.

I served this with quinoa cooked in vegetable broth. I love quinoa; it's unexpectedly crunchy and tasty. You could serve this with (whole wheat) couscous or brown rice. I think the accompanying starch should be on the bold and sturdy side to complement the dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment